Sunday, April 20, 2008

On Our Final Project

I had grand ideas. Strange ideas...ideas that, at the time I did not know, involved advanced psychology rhetoric. This past week I had been doing research on face perception and recognition. It's really fascinating and I even found an article on how autistic children could recognize and distinguish cartoon faces through conventional thought processes but had to go about different cognitive methods to do the same for actual faces. All this was very interesting but also very hard to synthesize.

Not that hard is bad. I love a challenge, who doesn't, right? But my research brought to the Comm library which has a great collection of editorial and various other types of cartoons. It also has a lot of old comics like Popeye, Flash Gordon, and, my favorite, Krazy Kat. I started reading some accompanying essays and got on to another topic. After researching, I came to the conclusion that I really like normal, research-based essays.

It's pretty rewarding to read and digest a bunch of smart sounding stuff and cite them on paper. So I'm taking the start of comic art and comparing it to modern works, which we've read in class, to talk about the major elements of the form. And there's even going to be a works cited page.

No comments: