Tuesday, April 1, 2008

FUN HOME

I'm not far in to the text so far tonight, but I figured I'd forget to blog if I waited too long and also something in the text struck so much that I felt the need to write about it.

On page 12:
"There are those famous wings. Was Daedalus really stricken with grief when Icarus fell into the sea? Or Just disappointed by the design failure."

I thought that was such an interesting perspective...and one view of the myth that I had never considered. It characterizes the dad well too. His children were part of his still life of a home, part of the design. Foreshadowing perhaps to a disappointment, it gives a different look at a father figure.

It made me think of that poem by William Carlos Williams, which I guess then in turn conjures the image of the painting by Brugel? (Wikipedia told me: Pieter Brueghel's Landscape With The Fall of Icarus.) But maybe more so the poem, because such a violent horrible act such as falling from the sky and drowning in the sea is brought to greater attention in verse.

a splash quite unnoticed
this was
Icarus drowning.

If his father was truly upset about the design his eyes would have stayed on the sun and the vapors that were once the wax wings and the splash would have gone quite unnoticed.

No comments: