Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The End of V for Vendetta

The end of this was probably a million times better than the film. I really liked the way Moore left the status of the world hanging. It wasn't an "OH NO!" kind of cliffhanger ending like Watchmen. It had a sort of poetic closure similar to the end I liked so much in Blankets.

Finch walking down the road seems to parallel the silhouetted V walking out of the flames. The future is implied through that panel. It is uncertain, dark, dangerous, and maybe even worse than the past, but it solidifies that what V wanted was accomplished.

Finch's LSD trip, his descent into madness, into the insane head of V, was eye opening for him. I was confused then, that he killed V. I thought maybe he would see the face of his opponent and, not necessarily repent, but not riddle him with bullets. I'd be very curious what everyone else in the class thought about that...maybe I'm the only one?

No comments: